Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Airlie Beach and the Whitsundays


           After about four hours on the Greyhound from Townsville, we arrived in Airlie Beach in the dark in the middle of aforementioned continuous downpour.  Lucky for us, that was the last rain I saw all week.  An American who was working at the hostel I was staying at, met a bunch of us at the bus and led the way to the hostel, Magnum's Backpackers.  While walking over, I recognized a British girl next to me from the hostel in Townsville.  I soon found out that it was an insanely small world!  She was headed out on the same boat tour as I was the next day, and was in the same hostel room with me that night.  When we got to the room, a few of our roommates were sitting on their beds and chatting, so we jumped into the conversation and got to know each other.  There was another British girl and a guy from Toronto, and I was in awe that you could travel to another hemisphere and meet someone who lived an hour and a half away from you (albeit in a different country, but that's the story of being a bordertown kid).  The three of us plus my friend Kimberly (who I had traveled on the Greyhound with that day) went to grab dinner, exploring our options until finally deciding on purchasing some boxed wine for our boat trip and eating Fish & Chips at the hostel.
 
            The next day, our boat tour was leaving around 1 p.m. so we checked out in the morning, stored our baggage, made some breakfast, and chilled at the hostel for a while before heading to Abell Point Marina (could not have picked a better name for the Marina, although in some places around town it was misspelled ‘Abel’ – story of my life, guys, don’t worry).  We checked in for the boat, were issued stinger suits, and before we knew it we were on board!  
            Within minutes of getting on the boat, we started to get to know our neighbors.  I met a girl from the States who had been traveling around Australia for a year, as well as a combination of other guests who were studying abroad, living in Australia, traveling long-term, or on a quick two month hiatus (like yours truly). 
           We were shown to our beds so we could stow our gear, and then returned to the deck to chat with our neighbors and take in the sights.  74 islands comprise the Whitsunday Islands, and although some of them, including parts of the Great Barrier Reef that lay beside some of the islands, were destroyed in Cyclone Debbie a few months ago (I don’t know if you recall the news article about the ‘Sharknado’ a few months back, in which a dead bull shark was found laying in the streets of the town of Ayre after the cyclone, but that was only about an hour or so North of Airlie Beach), the islands and the reef around it was pretty gorgeous.  Some of the islands have resorts on them, but most are uninhabited, and as such, the easiest way to explore most of them is a boat tour, such as the one we were on.
On the first day we stopped to do some snorkeling, watched the sunset, and after dinner, we threw all the leftovers overboard and watched sharks swarm around it, which was really cool!  The stars that night were phenomenal, uninterrupted by any artificial light whatsoever.  I chatted with some new friends from Canada, England, the States, Australia, and Holland, but we all called it a night around 10 in preparation for the next morning. 
            We woke up early to catch the sunrise and were in the small motor boats around 7 a.m. to head to Whitehaven Beach.  As we got off the motor boat at our drop off point, we spotted a lemon shark swimming nearby, and then took the quick walk to the lookout point and finally set foot on Whitehaven Beach.  I have to say that initially I had no idea what to expect of Whitehaven Beach.  I honestly I had just wanted to go onto one of the Whitsunday islands because I’m a big fan of islands and I heard they were pretty.  But, Whitehaven Beach definitely blew my expectations out of the water (pun entirely intended). 
As we were the first tour group to arrive on the island that morning (admittedly, with a second, right on our heels), we avoided having tons of tourists in our photographs.  I had seen plenty of white sand beaches before but the swirls were spectacular.  We also spotted a squid (although some argued it was dead, I'm pretty sure it's alive) and a bunch of sting rays while hanging out in the water. I personally think sting rays are the most amazing thing ever, and even though I know they exist in the States, I’ve only ever seen them in Australia, and thus equate them with Australia, so I was pretty happy about that.  After exploring the beach, taking several pictures, and chatting and sunbathing for a bit, it was time to head back to the boat for some sea eagle viewing and another round of snorkeling.  We snorkeled twice that day, spotting giant clams, sea cucumbers, and all sorts of fish and coral in the process.  After snorkeling, we enjoyed a well earn cup of tea and some snacks (which was potentially followed by a glass of wine before dinner). By the end of the day, I was tuckered out and we all called it a night early.  

Since, we needed to be up around 6 the next morning to attempt a snorkel with sea turtles, it was worth it. 
Unfortunately, we didn't spot any sea turtles while snorkeling that morning, but we did see some in the water as we were pulling back into port.  After disembarking and walking back to Magnum’s Backpackers to drop off our stuff, a friend from the trip and I spent some time on the beach and then went off for lunch.  The café we ate at had a Dr. Seuss theme (with dish names like the Grinch and the Lorax).  That day, we settled for acai bowls (being healthy and all) but the next morning I gave the Grinch a shot (disclaimer: the acai bowl was way better).
         That evening, there was an after party for everyone who had returned from a boat trip that day.  A bunch of the people from the trip, as well as some of the crew, joined us, but I was so tuckered out from the trip, I couldn’t even stay awake for the drink specials that started at 10.  So I called it a night early, in preparation for my flight to Perth the next day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment